> Teaching BPMN >
The Business Process Modeling Notation (BPMN) plays an important role for the BPT group. We have several years of teaching experience in BPMN -- we include it in our classes since BPMN's very beginnings in 2004. More information on our teaching activities related to BPMN are available at the Teaching BPMN
> Training, Coaching, and Joint Projects >
Based on our expertise in business process management, we offer training process modeling techniques as well as independent coaching and help in solving the hard problems related to business process management.
> Analyzing BPMN >
Since we are interested in BPMN from a research perspective, we have developed different evaluations and white papers over the last years. A background in formal methods and involvement in industry projects at the same time helps us balance precision and relevance.
> Tooling for BPMN >
We are have developed Oryx
, an open source modeling environment for BPMN and other process modeling languages. This project has led to the web-based process modeling tool (BPMN tool)
Signavio. We also provide BPMN stencil sets for common modeling tools.
The Business Process Technology group at HPI has developed a BPMN poster, featuring BPMN Version 2.0. Feel free to use it for your process modelling projects!
The german version of the poster can be ordered free of charge from Signavio
The book The Process - Business Process Modeling Using BPMN
is a novel that provides an easy start into BPMN. Learn BPMN with Tom Bauer and his mentor Anne White. Discover the questions behind process models and the process of process modeling using BPMN. More information about the BPMN-Book can be found at http://www.bpmn-book.com
The book Business Process Management: Concepts, Languages, Architectures
by Mathias Weske provides a solid basis for business process management. It covers conceptual and architectural aspect of business process management, but has its center of gravity in process languages: It explains Petri Nets, Workflow Nets, Event-Driven Process Chains (EPC), Yet Another Workflow Language (YAWL), and BPMN. More information about the BPM-Book can be found at http://www.bpm-book.com
Standard Documents, Research Papers and Technical Reports
- OMG: Business Process Modeling Notation V1.1: http://www.omg.org/docs/formal/08-01-17.pdf
- Gero Decker and Torben Schreiter. OMG releases BPMN 1.1 - What's changed? Technical Report, inubit AG, Berlin, Germany, April 2008
- Gero Decker, Oliver Kopp, Frank Leymann and Mathias Weske. Modeling Service Choreographies using BPMN and BPEL4Chor. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Advanced Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE), LNCS 5074, pp. 79-93, Montpellier, France, June 2008. Springer Verlag.
- Gero Decker and Frank Puhlmann. Extending BPMN for Modeling Complex Choreographies. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Cooperative Information Systems (CoopIS), LNCS 4803, pp. 24-40, Vilamoura, Portugal, November 2007. Springer Verlag.
- Gero Decker and Alistair Barros. Interaction Modeling using BPMN. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Collaborative Business Processes (CBP), LNCS 4928, pp. 206-217, Brisbane, Australia, September 2007. Springer Verlag.
- Kerstin Pfitzner, Gero Decker, Oliver Kopp and Frank Leymann. Web Service Choreography Configurations for BPMN. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Engineering Service-oriented Applications: Analysis, Design and Composition (WESOA), LNCS, Vienna, Austria, September 2007. Springer Verlag.
- Alexander Großkopf: xBPMN. Formal Control Flow Specification of a BPMN-based Process Execution Language. 2007.
- Torben Schreiter: Towards Executability of BPMN: Data Perspective and Process Instantiation. 2008.
Oryx is a web-based BPMN editor. Check out the Oryx homepage
to learn more. Signavio extends Oryx towards a full-featured Business Process Analysis suite. Check out the Signavio homepage
or sign up for the trial version
On the BPMN tool
web page you can directly start modeling BPMN without registration.
For users of other modeling tools we provide the following stencil sets: